Re: [MV] WW II Lusterless paints...........

From: John Seidts (jseidts@astory.com)
Date: Sun Mar 07 2004 - 21:51:27 PST

Comments,

While I see good evidence in Jim's argument that the government went to
great lengths to ensure quality control on the painting of its vehicles, I
DON'T see any evidence presented by him to say that it was followed in
practice by the manufacturers. While Ford may have preserved its records
stating that it met quality control standards for painting, that doesn't
prove that every single piece of equipment rolled out of the plant with a
paint job that could be matched to a colorimetric scale with great
precision. Your point about parking vehicles on the lot while waiting for
speedometers is an illustration- if there was a subtle variation in paint
batches, would they stop all production while waiting for new paint for a
pile of fenders, or even axles (which were not made by Ford, and were
presumably painted by somebody else with different quality control people
checking paint)? Would they reject AC Spark Plug Division speedometer
bezels because their paint was not a match of Ford's own standard? I doubt
it...

Too many parts had paint applied at different locations for all of them to
match that paper work that Ford generated and Jim has researched thoroughly.
Also, the economy of labor doesn't match this argument. They were building
jeeps on a cost plus basis. The government knew this- would they really
want to mess with a manufacturer if paint shades didn't match on parts, slow
down production to match shades? What a waste of time! They had bigger,
more critical production dragons to slay.

And the argument OD is OD works here too. I can see new inspectors looking
at vehicles and saying, "looks green to me," and passing them on. And this
would have happened all throughout the production.

Hey, I know all my arguments are anecdotal and circumstantial, but they make
sense to me... And I believe further research is needed, including chemical
analysis of original paints.

To further qualify the research needed on this topic, I think a few things
need to be considered.
1. Parts were not produced in the same quality control environment as other
parts- question is, WHO controlled paint quality control in WWII (Who was
the Arthur Anderson of WWII Paint)? How were they trained, how were they
paid, and how strict were they?
2. Paints do have variances, no matter what the standards say- how do we
pick representative NOS originals to test this assertion and support it or
refute it?
3. Where is the money? Was it actually cost effective (all factors
considered) for a WWII era company to keep tight quality control on painting
practices? What did it cost? Was adequate labor available for this task?
4. Can WWII painting practices be duplicated today to test theories
developed based on the above questions?

Still interesting to me, and hate to be hard on Jim because he's a sharp guy
and much better read on this stuff than me. But I'm just not willing to
accept what he says without better verification.