Re: [MV] electrical feedback on S250 shelter through ground....

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 08:42:59 PST

Spikes and surges induced by lightning or whatever had
no path to drain off, with a grounded neutral they do.

Not only that but spikes tend to be amplified when
there is no path to ground.

Closed delta three phase is just such a problem, the
code requires three lights on the service to monitor
the condition of the whole system, if one leg gets
grounded nothing will happen except that one light
will be dim while the other two will be brighter
alerting the maintenance crew that something is wrong.
 Now, IF another leg should go to ground :

 KABOOOOOM!!

Other funny things will happen in the mean time, too,
the engineering books say, "... the system becomes
unstable,..." which understates the situation. Refer
to that big black-out that hit the USA recently.
"Unstable" is definable but only in relation to one
certain event, the next time it could be something
totally different so there's really no sense in
quantifying it.

Joe

--- noel shelley <noel@shelley1722.freeserve.co.uk>