Re: [MV] M35 Clutch Question

From: Marc Strangfeld (curlyjoe98@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 00:45:21 PST

Bob

I replaced the clutch in my m35 last fall.

As far as I know there are two types of clutch discs,
organic and button. The button clutch is star shaped
with 5 or 6? pads riveted on the steel disc whereas
the organic goes around the whole periphery. Everyone
I talked to said the button clutch is more common and
will last longer.

I also called around looking for replacements whether
rebuilt or NOS. I ended up having mine rebuilt
locally by a small diesel shop familiar with
multifuels. They also had a fixture to grind the
pressure plate. I had the flywheel ground as well.
The clutch rebuild was around $225 and the flywheel
resurfacing was about $40. I also replaced the rear
oil seal, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing.

My opinion is, don't rebuild it or rebuild the whole
thing. You could probably pick good components and
make them work it depends on what you are using the
truck for. Installation is a whole other topic but a
coupe of pointers are: keep things clean, line
everything up good, and make sure the four release
fingers on the pressure plate are adjusted the same-
I have a patent pending method for doing that. After
the pressure plate is bolted to the fly wheel take a
1-2-3 block and hold it on the center splined hub on
the disc. Then use a depth micrometer to measure from
the 1-2-3 block down to the fingers. I got mine
within .005 and the clutch is smooth as can be.

Good luck

Marc