Re: [MV] HELP Melted CUCV Starter - Need replacement

From: Bruce Beattie (bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 09:33:06 PST

Thanks everyone for the wonderfull help I got!

A lot of people responded to my plea for help with both
technical info and good leads. I was able to locate a
bran spankin new reduction gear type starter for a good price.
Not cheap, but a very good deal. It is getting flown up here
and will be here tomorrow.

To consolidate some of the knowledge I learned from this
here are some notes:

Assuming that your engine is in reasonable condition and the
glow plugs are functioning properly, you could probably install
a 12 volt starter and solenoid as a direct replacement for the 24 volt
one with no wireing changes. The key here is, that as long as the
engine starts right up, then the current going thru the starter won't
burn it up. If you stay there and either crank it for a long time or
multiple times, then you might overheat the windings and burn it up.

If you install the newer reduction geared starter, you might want to
upgrade the starter relays do to larger currents.

The reduction gear starters are higher horse power and really spin
the engine.

Part number info:
AC Delco part #s (All considered obsolete by AC Delco)
323-375
323-382
323-408
The first two are the standard ones.

I suspect that the second has
some minor upgrades.

The third is the Reduction Gear starter and is a total redesign.
My guess is that these are the ones that were used for the Humvee's

GM Part #s
The GM number stamped on the original starter was a 1998454 27MT
The end cover has a 1113591 stamped on it.

The gear reduction is a 10479611 Type 171 28MT

Thanks again to everyone who helped me. You will never know just
how much this ment to us.

Bruce MVPA 23824