Re: 16.5" wheels, to 16", Ford 1-ton

From: Richard (metal@fullwave.com)
Date: Sat Mar 20 2004 - 09:10:55 PST

Dave,

I have an '86 F350 4x4...not sure it's the same
axles as your '79, but for what it's worth....

I went shopping for used wheels for it last fall,
and ended up with a set of Ford wheels which
would NOT fit over the rear hubs. They turned
out to be 3/4-ton wheels, despite what the seller
said... <g>

So, after some more hunting, I found real 1-ton
wheels, and they worked fine.

The 3/4-tons look identical, but the hub-hole is
just a tad smaller. The scary part is that you CAN
get them over the hub, and even get the lug-nuts
on! The problem is that they interfere down at
the very base of the hub, and the wheel does not
seat on the brake-drum properly/flatly.

Richard

--
Please do NOT add or "subscribe"