Pictures of breakage...that explains why my 6.2L sounded so funny :(

From: Chris Stansbury (chris_stansbury@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 12:04:38 PST

Hey guys,
I finally got to the root of my engine troubles in my M1009. Just a brief
recap for those who didn't see my earlier posts.

I was driving my M1009 a few months ago and when I pulled up next to my
deuce in the driveway, it just died all of a sudden. I tried to restart,
but no good. I notice that my electric fuel pump wasn't running so my first
thought was that it conked out and the injection pump lost its prime. I
replaced the pump and bled the air up to the injection pump. I cracked the
injector lines and cranked the engine over. I got a little diesel at a
couple of the injectors, but never at the rest of them. While cranking to
bleed the air the engine started making funny popping noises up through thie
intake. Weird huh? Well I tore the front of the engine down thinking there
was something wrong with the timing. I discovered that the cam bolt had
vibrated out allowing the pump driving gear to fall away from the pump gear.
  Dang. Well, I put it all back together and it started real quick, but it
was making a machine gun racket sound out of the intake. I shut it down
real fast. Today, I pulled the valve covers off looking for bent valves or
something. The left side was normal, but when I pulled the right cover off,
I saw some serious carnage. Check this out:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/broken_rockers.htm

I am thinking that the engine must have jumped time because the timing gear
lost index on the cam shaft when the bolt came out. The pistons met the
valves and busted the rocker assembly into pieces. It's strange that it
only affected the right side. I'm guessing there is also some serious
internal problems on that side with the valves and maybe pistons so I will
end up pulling the engine instead of just bolting up a couple of rocker
assemblies. Well, now I have been through everything with this Blazer.

Chris

Chris Stansbury, O.D.
1301 Lee Street East
Charleston, WV 25301