Re: [MV] Late 50's USAF M35s and M37s

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 16:42:48 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron" <rojoha@comcast.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 12:24 PM
Subject: [MV] Late 50's USAF M35s and M37s

> A couple of weeks back, someone was asking about USAF M35s?
>
> An interesting site with quite a few 1958-1962 era photos of USAF
> vehicles as stationed at the 6 USAF manned Gap Filler radar sites in
Canada.
> (One year, no leave postings. No DVDs, VHS tapes, PCs or Internet back
then.
> Stir Crazy comes to mind...but they were supplied with 1500 cases of beer
> per year per site, with 24 personnel per site or 60 cases per man per
> year....hic!)

Thanks for the link. I knew about the Pinetree line, but didn't know the
USAF manned stations too.

There's a great shot of a few M37's and an M35 at:
http://www.pinetreeline.org/gap/photos/cape-makkovik/gfcm178.jpg I always
wondered if they dyed the canvas Strata Blue or just used it OD green out of
the box, and I guess this picture provides the answer. (I had an original
Canadian Air Force M43 ambulance which even came with its pioneer kit straps
done up in Air Force blue.)

If anyone's ever near Tofino on the West Coast of Vancouver Island, there's
an old Pinetree site called "Radar Hill" with the remains of the radar
installation at the very top. Just a short hike away from the site there's
the wreck of a Consolidated Canso (PBY) in the brush which ground-looped
while Radar Hill and the nearby Tofino Air Station were still in operation.
From what I remember, if you look around other parts of the same site
providing us with these vehicle pics, you can find some shots of the Canso
in the undergrowth.