M-35 PTO winch and air locker questions.

From: rock1@mindspring.com
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 20:11:46 PST

Calling all Duce PTO winch experts!!

M-35 duce transfer case winch controls and air locker questions.

Background:
The plan was to move the PTO transmission and winch from the 68 -A2 to the
70 -A2 drop-side. After dropping the tranny in the first truck and while
disassembling the second I noticed a difference in the two. The 70 has an
air locker transfer, the 68 does not. It has a manual connection linkage
between the transmission shifter top and the transfer. The PTO control
lever fits fine on the 70 so that's not a problem. But, the linkage that
connects the transmission shifter top to the transfer on the older duce
attaches to the transfer at the same place as the air locker on the newer
truck. I have never disassembled a winch PTO setup on either type of
truck, so I don't know the differences and similarities.

Questions:
Does the air locker transfer actually require the interlocking linkage?
Is there a different tranny to transfer control setup for newer trucks with
air lockers?
Can the transmission to transfer interconnecting linkage be left off the
air locker, or is it required?
Any suggestions?

Sgt. Rock's Motor Pool