M1009 CUCV steering / ign switch problem

From: mark baxter (alleywayguns@bacavalley.com)
Date: Sat Mar 27 2004 - 01:19:37 PST

Listers
 A week ago I was telling you about my truck stopped moving when it was
going up hill and the horn honked three times, WELL I got a bit more of the
story the other day.
 It seems that when my friend went to park the truck, he could not get into
reverse, so he went around the block to pull it stright in and park it, well
I come to find out that it just stopped moving and he could not get the
shifter to go into any of the gears or get the key to turn off without
having to really work at it. When I first got the truck, the ignition key
was really gummy/gritty to turn but it turned over and I did not have a
problem getting it into gear.
 Well I went by the truck and thought I would check it myself, I found that
the ignition switch was locked up in the off position and that I could not
budge the shift lever, BUT the steering wheel turns! Tried everything I knew
to do to it, and it is just frozen in place.
  I removed the steering column and IM prepaired to take it apart on the
bench at work. I need to get it freed up. ANY IDEAS? I have the -20 and
the -34 for it, ALSO are the electrical parts on the CUCV steering column
the same as the civilian parts? all help it appreciated!!
Mark M-886 and M-1009