Brake shoe relining

From: everette (194cbteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat Mar 27 2004 - 09:25:59 PST

yes it can be done... if you can find someone who has the machine to do this
with, I was given a machine but have no linings or rivets

I have been told that riveted shoes transmit heat away from drum better,
that glue between lining and shoe does not transfer heat as well as rivets
do.

Hardest part is getting old linings off.

I remember my father had one of these in the 50's -- also had a tool to
measure the drum and spacers to put between linings and shoes to allow for
what had been turned off drum surface. And dozens of boxes of lining
material - all went to salvage years ago. along with dozens of boxes of
rivets, you had to have many different ones - different lengths and
diameters.

Also had a machine to grind newly relined shoes to right shape.

It was my job to punch old rivets out, there was a special punch to fit the
shoe, not all holes are the same diameter. Line old shoe up with punch and
stomp the pedal, if I stomped too hard I was accused of trying to break
machine, if you do not stomp hard enough it will stick and then you are
accused of trying to break punch.

Everette