CUCV ignitions

From: Jim Zehr (jimm1009@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Mar 27 2004 - 10:26:36 PST

They were all keyed alike at GM before delivery.
The steering wheel has to be removed along with the
horn button mechanism and also the turnsignal switch
below that.
At the about the 1:30 position is a pin or screw that
must be removed in order to pull out the ignition lock
cylinder. There is a geared adapter inboard of that
that is a friction fit over the lock cylinder.
This is mated to a puch rod that goes down the
steering column to the actual ignition swith bolted to
the lower top of the column where the other eletrical
disconnects are located. The back-up light switch is
also that same area.
When looking at the 12:00 position with the wheel
removed you will also see a plunger with somewhat of a
point on it. It is designed to engage a steel disk
below the wheel to lock the wheel for anti-theft.
Thei is all the same configuration as the civilian
trucks. The only miliarty orented thing about the
steering column is the ignition uses the B key (round
key) and the turn signals are wired hot so GIs can do
their PMCS without having to turn the key on and burn
out the glow plugs.
I removed all my locks and replaced them with lock for
GM or PepBoys. I had my dorr lock cyclinders match to
the ignition and it still uses the B key. It's nice
to have to fool with only one key rather than two.
I can e-mail the original key code to anyone that
needs it.
Any competent key shop(or GM dealer)can make one from
the code.
Jim
jimm1009@yahoo.com

=====