Re: [MV] GL1 vs GL5?

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 10:24:25 PST

Although some people are afraid of using GL5 in gear boxes with yellow
metals, the fact is that modern GL5 has the proper additives to prevent
corrosion to yellow metals while maintaining much superior wear protection.
 For some time (years ago) there was some bad GL5 floating around. GL1 has
no EP additives. GL5 does. GL1 formulation is pre-WWII.

While you can be sure that your gearbox will be protected from yellow metal
corrosion with GL1 - that may be little consequence if you tear the teeth
off the tranny gears due to wear brought on by the poor lubrication
properties of GL1.

The choice is yours.

My M51 has high quality GL5 in all of the boxes and diffs.

Dave