More CUCV

From: Amnon (amnon@deltaforce.net)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 07:28:08 PST

When I got the M1009 from Anydy two years ago, the gas gauge was erratic to say
the least, and then it stopped working all together. I was told that this is a
common problem, and that the fault is in the wiring on top of the tank, and to
fix it the tank needs to come off. Needless to say, a 5 gallon can in the back
and frequesnt topping were the way to avoid running out of gas. There were also
some burned out bulbs and that was pretty easy to fix once the dash came off.

Yesterday it was nice outside so I figured let's see if the problem with the
gauge is as I was told. I skinned the wire coming off of the sending unit and
shorted it to ground. Nothing. Traced it and skinned it half way to the front
of the truck, same thing. Took the dash back out to test the gauge itself, it
moved. Testing the connectors where the gauge plugs in I noticed that the three
connectors were loose. What a designe I thought to myself, and right away a
bulb lit in my head (12V, of course :-) that maybe there is something wrong with
those connectors. I took the complete shell out and again I thought, but this
time with disrespect, "what a design"!. Those three connectors made no
connection with the printed circuit at all. Not only were they rusted out, yes,
they are not made of copper like the connectors on the bulbs I guess, but steel
(did the designer think of the problem of steel and copper touching together?),
but they were also bent to the point of no connection. Managed to take them
out, sanded them, bent the ^%$^%$ out of them so that they will make good
connection when pressed back in, installed them, and low and behold the guage
worked! So next time any of you works on the instruments panel, make sure you
clean tighten these three connectors.

I also noticed that the red temp light doesn't light up when the switch is on
(like it does on any other vehicle before the engine starts), and changing the
bulb etc. did not change this. Is it suppose to light up initially and then go
out? And if so, what should I look for?

Shalom Ya'll
Amnon Nissan

Deltaforce