Re: [MV] 6TL Explosion

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 07:47:48 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "noel shelley" <noel@shelley1722.freeserve.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 4:42 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] 6TL Explosion

> ONE BRIGHT SPARK is all it takes , been there done it !
> A variation on splitting the atom .
>
> H2SO4 + electricity = 2H + O2 +{So2}
> H + O2 + spark = big bang + water vapour /battery

Yes. I remember that chemistry lesson when someone handed me the ends of his
jumper cables - already hooked up to his own car battery - for me to hook up
to my M37s primary battery. Yeah. What buddy failed to tell me was that
while the cables had been rattling around in his trunk, the cheesy-ass
plastic red and black sleeves had come off, and he slid them back on the way
he thought they went. Backwards. I was leaning right over it when it
happened, and had the presence of mind to go and run to a puddle I
remembered seeing to shove my head in it. Not the most sanitary eye-wash
station going, I guess, but a fair improvisation given the circumstances.

When I got home I threw my jacket in the wash, and it came out looking like
a tired fishnet. The Acid destroyed it.

> On the subject of batteries , had one go flat in 20 mins doing nothing .
> Put jump leads on to start , big flash , wip leads off , check polarity ,
> ok, reconnect , fine , start up , drive home , all seems well , check
> battery OK , weeks later still OK .

I've had a few of them with intermittent contacts from terminal-to-plate.
Mostly 6TNs. We also have a bunch at work that seem to hold a charge when
you check them with the load-tester right after they come off charge, but if
you do it a few days later still sitting on the bench - they're typically
self-discharged to the point they couldn't start so much as an argument. Go
figure.