Re: [MV] More CUCV

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 08:09:17 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Amnon" <amnon@deltaforce.net>
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 7:28 AM
Subject: [MV] More CUCV

> When I got the M1009 from Anydy two years ago, the gas gauge was erratic
to say
> the least, and then it stopped working all together. I was told that this
is a
> common problem, and that the fault is in the wiring on top of the tank,
and to
> fix it the tank needs to come off.

Mine was erratic for a bit. I think I found that there was a ground problem
at the tank end, but I can't quite recall.

> Needless to say, a 5 gallon can in the back
> and frequesnt topping were the way to avoid running out of gas. There
were also
> some burned out bulbs and that was pretty easy to fix once the dash came
off.

The other thing with the dash bulbs is that the bulb holders do a sort of
twist-lock thing as they go into their mounting holes in the dash pack, and
the electrical contact with the harness itself is made entirely by the two
little copper 'feet' sticking out from the bulb-socket which then
pressure-fit up against the copper of the printed circuit mylar strip.
Bulbs that wink on and off when you hit bumps or otherwise behave
erratically do so because the spot at which the bulb socket feet 'rest' on
the copper bit of the mylar strip starts to depress itself over the years,
resulting in a loose connection. Mostly it just means cleaning the contact
point on the mylar strip with a pencil or pen eraser, then bending the feet
on the bulb socket down with a suitable instrument so that they stand a bit
more proud from the bottom of the socket (thereby making a tighter contact
as you twist-lock the socket back in place in the dash-pack.)

The other thing that goes screwy is the multpin connector that's the
connection point between the dash-pack itself and the vehicle's underdash
harness. The contacts there can get pretty oxidized too, and I've had a
couple of the connectors that weren't even plugged in properly at all.
Again, a pencil eraser on the contacts both harness-side and dash-pack side
is usually all it takes, and if you have a flakey idiot light or something
on your dashboard - this connector may well be the problem assuming you're
sorted out all the bulbs and their sockets as a first measure.