Re: [MV] FW: On the topic of paint schemes

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 22:27:16 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "kuhrick" <kuhrick@comcast.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 9:45 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] FW: On the topic of paint schemes

> YES IF YOU FIND A JEEP in a CRATE for $50 i bet you mite be able to
> sell it for $50.000.00
> did i type 50 k dollars write
> ken
> m886

One of the longtime members of our local MVPA chapter used to run a car lot
in Vancouver, and also regularly stocked that lot with surplus M37s, M135s,
and as the Canadian Army was disposing of its 1/4 ton fleet in favour of the
Iltis - a bunch of M38A1s.

Because these vehicles were displayed in the car lot in a high-traffic part
of Vancouver it was quite the stimulus for sales prospects, but,
unfortunately, it also acted like a magnet for those who remembered reading
those "Jeep-in-a-crate-for-50-bucks" ads in the back of comic books right
beside the offer for the x-ray specs when they were brats. Our club member
suffered a number of these fools with a combination of patience and
exasperation until he stumbled upon a sure-fire formula for shutting them up
permanently without the use of firearms or limited-yield tactical nukes.

He opened his wallet.

Yes, every time someone looked at the CDN $2250.00 pricetag on a good
M38A1CDN and exclaimed "how expensive" that was and how he "could get them
for 50 bucks in the original crate" - our friend opened up his wallet and
told the fellow that he'd pay cash right there on the spot for as many as he
could get a hold of. As I remember the story, many promised follow-up phone
calls and visits or truckloads of jeeps - yet not one person came back.

I still get them today. I'll take an M151 or M38 to some event and
guaranteed there'll be some know-it-all with his girlfriend or kids in tow
going on-and-on about how he can't see how they're worth that much because
he saw an ad or "has a buddy who can get..." or any of the other fifty
million variations I've heard. <shrug>

All I can say is I hope they had better luck with the X-Ray Specs.