Bleeding the steering on a 5 ton. Problem.

From: J (W7LS@blarg.net)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 21:54:19 PDT

    I'm resurecting a 5 ton that was being turned into a skeleton, piece
by piece. The Army drains the fluids out of such parts vehicles before
sending them down the road. Hence, the power steering fluid was all out
of it. It appears that you can't just refill it. There is air in the
system that just won't come out by itself, according to a local MV sage.
This air foams the fluid and it pours out of the overflow vent on the
reservoir. Adding more fluid doesn't fix it. You just get a wider,
deeper puddle under the truck. The manuals don't discuss this repair. At
least I can't find mention of it. I'll try cracking open the lines on
the steering ram to get the air out, unless someone has first hand
knowledge of a better way.
    Anyone else visit this problem? Thanks. Jim