UPDATE Re: [MV] M37 transport info required

From: Ron (rojoha@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 08:20:38 PDT

Thanks to all who responded with tips and suggestions to my post.
    Last night took a ride down to pick it up. Took it for a ride and brakes
were real squirrelly. Discretion being the better part of valor, decided
driving it was not wise. Had been offered use of a dolly, car trailer and
tow bar, but decided to use AAA Plus as suggested by a couple of people.
After all, they are pros, right?
    Called for a ramp truck, described vehicle, they said they would let
the driver decide, and send a wrecker.
    Small wrecker says they can't handle it, too big, call for bigger
wrecker. He grabs it from rear by wheel lift (front drive shaft is off, has
front hubs which are unlocked), says he'll see us in about an hour at the
destination. I ask if he'll be able to do 55-60 MPH with the rig, he replies
"Only if I don't shift out of second..." and takes off. We give him a 10
minute head start since he's stopping at Dunkin Donuts and head out. (Oh
yeah, 3 + hours have passed since call to AAA with 30 minute arrival time
promised and truck actually leaves. )
    We proceed north through Boston Big Dig with no traffic delays, never
catch up or see tow truck, arrive Londonderry, NH in a little over an hour,
no traffic, no delays and no wrecker?
    At a little after 2200, call AAA and ask, "Where's my truck" After 15
minutes on hold and a couple of reps, told it's "in tow". At around 2230
and a couple of more calls with replies like "at exit 42", and "15 minutes
out" the wrecker shows up.
    But wait, something is not quite right...Hmmmmm, wrecker left with M37
grabbed by ass by rear wheels with wheels and tires on all axles, and a flat
spare in the bed tire carrier and only driver in tow truck.
    Now, M37 is hanging by front bumper/frame, right front tire and wheel
are missing, lots of BIG shiny flat spots on right front brake drum, spare
is no longer visible, 2nd guy comes out of truck (??? These guys work for
Ringling Bros???).
    Driver says they had a problem, tire and wheel came off on the
Expressway, they couldn't recover it since it went out to Jersey Barriers by
passing lane, couldn't put spare on since they didn't have lug wrench big
enough (???) to steal lug nuts from other wheels, It's my fault, where do I
want truck stuffed, they got another call, gotta go.
    Biting my tongue big time, I told the don't move, got camera and called
AAA.
    Short version is after an hour on and off with AAA and MA State Police
(notifying them of wheel/tire in passing lane before someone gets killed
hitting it, since driver didn't have time to call them over past 2 hours),
the truck gets dropped and I get to play with AAA member services to get it
straightened out. MA State Police (6 calls back and forth since wrecker
shows up) call me at just before 0200 and the Sgt. says they had their
patrols check the area three times, had both the Mass Port and Mass Highway
debris patrols swing through the area but no joy on the tire and wheel in
any lanes, 1 mile on both sides north and south of where the driver reported
the incident. If they locate it, they'll let me know....
    Should just driven it...stay tuned for updates.
    For those interested in my standard luck level, some photos at:
  http://cards.webshots.com/cp-77645203-wugo-album/132595493zetNLI

Ron, thinking of taking up baseball card collecting....