RE: [MV] UPDATE Re: [MV] M37 transport info required

From: Glenn Shaw (mpmutt@mtaofnj.us)
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 10:36:27 PDT

Hi Ron
After having 4 of these Dodges for many years I can add a couple of
points. First the lugs on these trucks to not have a locking effect by
compression of a dished area in the steel wheel. They are like the flat
washer type lugs on some mag wheels. The must be kept tight. If you
hadnt been told it was done they should have been checked first before
it hit the road by you or the tow company. Loose lugs are not an
uncommon thing with that type of Budd wheel. Second the brakes on these
trucks are a challenge. They are a non self energizing Wagner design
that is subject to pulling and all sorts of issues including gear oil on
the pads, rust on the drums from sitting etc. You would definitely been
better off driving it since it is unlikely that you would lose all your
brakes but if it happened (and it has to me) the handbrake on those
trucks will lock up the wheels easily. Further when lugs start to
loosen up on an M37 believe me you know it right away long before
anything falls off. The left right lug thread issue is not a problem at
all. The real issue here is you entrusted your property to so-called
professionals who were negligent in several areas and caused damage to
your property. I would have called the police immediately for a report,
and even though this may not have been done,(you did report it to the
tow people and took pics) I would call the tow outfit today for the name
of their property damage insurance company and file a PD claim, with the
fact made known that if they do not settle this properly and fairly,
that AAA and the contractor will be sued. But first I would try the
insurance claim for all the lost and damaged property.

Sorry for your situation

Glenn