MV parts

From: Michael Howell, DO (michael@tsixroads.com)
Date: Sat Apr 10 2004 - 17:03:45 PDT

One of the things I like about collecting HMV's is the fact that the
government seems to buy so many spare parts for them and they end up
selling them for surplus. They also insist that they be packaged well
so they will keep. The down side to this is that they put a NSN on the
package with some cryptic nomenclature and it is hard to figure out what
is in the package without opening it and you still don't know what it
fits. Now I know that some of you are lucky enough to have G numbers on
the package that will tell you, but apparently that was too good of an
idea and they stopped doing that.

My question for the list today is how do you keep up with your parts?
Now I'm not talking to the politically correct people on the list who
out source everything and only order their parts when they need them and
put them on the day they come in. I'm talking to people like me who go
to auctions and buy truck loads of box deals and buy for GL and end up
with 4 foot by 4 foot boxes full of odds and ends. Or those who go to
shows and find good deals on stuff that fit one of the many future
projects you have at home and you pick it up so you will have it when
you need it, but you don't put what it fits on it when you get home
(assuming you even remember it that long).

I have been giving it some thought lately. There should be a good
computer program out there to help people inventory there stuff.
Perhaps a dBase templet that would allow you to enter the NSN ,
nomenclature, cost , location, number on hand, perhaps a picture , end
use, etc. Perhaps it could even be fixed where it could be uploaded to
a web site so other people on the list could buy your excess or you
could trade for parts you need.

Mike in Tishomingo, Mississippi who was doing spring cleaning until it
started raining.