M38A1 Parts Jeep on Ebay

From: Horrocks, Aaron (ACHb@pge.com)
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 15:48:36 PDT

Another Ebay Auction...

This one gets interesting! So, I find a half-decent parts jeep on e-bay. I take a good look at it, check out the logistics, what parts are there, and it looks like a decent source for a few of the parts I need. Even though every part on this jeep is going to require some major work and investment to use it on another; hey it's a parts jeep!

So I ask the seller a few questions, and then I place a bid. This '54 M38A1 has a frame, 2 axles (front is incomplete), 3 rims & flats, a front grill, a body w/windshield, and an artic kit (without glass or doors) That's it - nothing more. Everything looks in rough shape. No engine, tranny, seats, fuel tank, any glass, fenders, hood, running gear, not even steering!

After I bid 5 times, I start to wonder how much the reserve is set at. I got the feeling it was at $400~$500, which is a bit steep for a NO-TITLE parts jeep that doesn't really have that many parts anyhow. I was blown away when I found out that the reserve was set at $1,500! That's not a typo: One Thousand, Five Hundred! Holy Crap! I bought my jeep with a title, in FAR FAR better condition with almost all the parts there (no engine though) for $500!

At first I thought that he might be someone who doesn't know what he has and simply put way too high of a price tag on it. That's not the case. This guy has a business, and an military surplus site. He claimed that the artic top kit on this jeep was worth $500 alone, which it's certainly not when it's beat up and missing glass and doors like this one. I'm the only one to has bid so far, and I hope no one is foolish enough to pay his asking price because he's not trying to sell a parts jeep to someone that needs one at a decent price or even anywhere *near* market value, he's trying to screw a person over by asking for three times the market price! You couldn't even break that down into parts and sell those parts to get your money back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2472523654&category=6737

If he sells that thing for $1,500... My pity really goes out to the buyer!

Aaron Horrocks
1952 M38A1