2.5 ton hub removal, country way

From: everette (194cbteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 14:58:33 PDT

Here is the way "old country boys" used to removed tires, wheels and hubs as
an assembly.

Tools needed in addition to normal mechanic tools:

  1 piece of smooth surface metal about 2 feet wide and a little longer
than twice width of wheel assembly.

  clean oil, or liquid detergent.

Jack truck up, loosen and remove stuff holding wheel assembly in place, pour
oil, or detergent on piece of metal, spread it around. and slide meal under
wheel assembly, carefully VERY CAREFULLY lower truck until weight is no
longer on spindle, and wheel is resting on metal; and two fellows can
easily, or one if he works at it, slide wheel assembly off. Then you can
roll it our of your way.

 Replacing is easily done if jack does not let load down any. Oil works
best because it will not dry up. Be sure and wash off tires when you get
job done.

Everette