RE: [MV] M35A2 brake fluid

From: D O (dohe69@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 08:49:32 PDT

A helpful person on this list recommended that I verify if mine has DOT 5 or
was converted to DOT 3 before adding any fluid, here was the recommendation:

don't guess.... this is how to check:-

Essentially, there are two types. The first one is regular auto brake fluid.
The second type is Silicone-based brake fluid.

You can not mix the two types of fluid (well, you can, but you will end up
with a jelly-like mess).

You need to find out which you have already in the system. Here's how:-

1. Get a dropper (an eye or ear-dropper) and withdraw some fluid from the
master cylinder.
2. Put it into a glass jar and then add some clean water to the fluid.
3. Now put the lid on the jar and shake it well.
4. Let it stand for a few minutes.
5. If the water and the fluid have mixed thoroughly and can not be
separately identified, then you have regular auto brake fluid.
6. However, if the water and the fluid have not mixed, or have formed blobs
or layers, then the fluid is Silicone.

That's all there is to it. Lots of people think that you can recognise which
is which by looking at the colour of the fluid, or by its odor. Don't risk
it. Use the test outlined above.

If you do have DOT 5, you can probably find it cheaper through one of the
mil vehicle surplus guys that advertise in MV Magazine, even with shipping
costs.

Common sense but still worth mentioning; be sure you clean off all the crud
from the top of the master cylinder before unscrewing the cap! It gets a
lot dirtier being under the truck than your typical firewall mounted master
cylinder.

>From: M35A2DEUCE@aol.com
>Subject: [MV] M35A2 brake fluid
>Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:29:26 -0400
>
>hi all,
>where is the brake master on the deuce?
>and it only takes DOT 5 fluid?
>will NAPA have DOT 5?
>thanks !!!!
>Pete Kennedy
>1968 M35A2 W/W
>Shohola PA.

Lose those love handles! MSN Fitness shows you two moves to slim your waist.
http://fitness.msn.com/articles/feeds/article.aspx?dept=exercise&article=et_pv_030104_lovehandles