Ouray and long drives

From: Ray Fougnier (rfougnier@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 16:38:35 PDT

I work for an auto manufacturer that you may have heard of. We ship
cars to Denver, stay a week, then drive to Lake Havasu, AZ for another
week or two. We stayed in Ouray for a weekend, enroute, a couple of
years ago and thought it was the coolest place. The tough part, though,
is getting there, because it really is quite a drive from - anywhere -.
Jeeps are everywhere, and the trailheads look intimidating. I met up
with a group of college girls in Durango who gave the advice of taking
the trails from Durango - Ouray - Telluride, and back. It would take
about a day and would be a lot of fun. I had hoped to be back out that
way soon after to take them as 'tour guides' but it never worked out.
Oh well.

As far as driving the Deuce that far? I plan on going 550 miles, one
way, in a few weeks from Detroit to Pigeon Forge, TN, so it's not so
crazy. I'll just crank up the AC, turn on the stereo, and take it
easy. Strike that, I'll open up the window, put in the ear plugs, and
listen to the music from under the hood!

I really need to figure out my tire wear problem up front before I go,
but other than that, it should be good. I'll be taking the gallons of
fluids that you had described, just in case.

Ray