Re: [MV] CARGO COVERS (mpg)

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 09:05:18 PDT

When I went to Ohio last year I averaged about 6.5 MPG in my deuce tractor
with my M35A2 piggybacked on the back. I see no reason to give money away to the
oil companies so I removed the front drive flanges and made sure my tire
pressure was up. On the way up my mileage was noticably worse then on the way
back. When I returned I left the tarp off the M35A2. Sensible driving helps too.
Just to show how much difference these things can make figure this. When I
bought the tractor I flew to MD and drove it home. No drive flanges on the front
and one rear axle shaft was pulled. If I pushed it to around 55 for a tank I
got high 8s to low 9mpg. Same truck, same conditions, same drive home, only
this time keeping it at 52 MPH mileage went up to 11 MPG. Now I'm not that
cheap of a person but when I can keep that much money and funnel it into another
project, I'll do it. Now when I want to be the el cheapo fuel miser I'll just
drive this M1009 if I ever get it running.
Kenny