Re: [MV] Broke the Mule, REPLY........

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 20:36:47 PDT

>What do you use for ramps?

I got a 20' bar of channel iron. I think it was 8" but I'll have to look up
the weight, it was not the lightest #/ft I know. Cut in half and pretty up
the ends by cutting them at an angle so if I'm not right on I won't mess up
a tire. I made two tabs from angle (2"x2"X1/4" perhaps) that bolt to the
top and set down into the gap between the tail gate and the bed. Then for
safety purposes I installed two angle iron (1-1/4x1-1/4x3/16 as I recall)
spreader pieces that go under the channel and bolt through the web to 1)
keep the channels at the right width and 2) prevent a channel from flipping
up if I happen to start running a tire up onto the flange. While the channel
shape tends to keep the tires in the middle, I have started to climb up onto
the flange a few times, not by much but enough to worry me if I didn't have
them tied together. That four wheel steering is not always a pleasure to
deal with at times. When your heading down things start happening real quick
and the brake does not always hold it at that angle, only got one shot
really. I've done this load/unload routine dozens of times, always goes very
smoothly. Now to head off any debate from those who say I don't know what
I'm doing, I in fact did a proper structural analysis of the channels in the
configuration they're in and given the mules loading on them (worst case)
and found this system to be sound. As to traction, being that your climbing
almost 24 degrees, I've had no trouble, even in the rain one day.

Once the mule is up on the truck then just take the ramps apart and slide
them under it. I've found that old pallets and timbers placed on the floor
surrounding the mule help keep it in place, then I just run one strap type
load binder across the middle of the mule deck and hook into the sides of
the deuce bed.

Driven the little bugger thousands of mile like this, in fact I call the
deuce my "mule transporter".

later,

je