Re: GM6.2L diesel design, and electric hydraulic pump n' dump...

From: Richard (metal@fullwave.com)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 19:22:26 PDT

"'....It was designed for.....and good fuel economy with its
precombustion chamber indirect injection system.""

It may have been designed for economy, but the economy
didn't come from putting a pre-chamber in it <g>.

Pre-combustion diesels have -poorer- fuel economy, because
they have higher surface area per unit volume (displacement);
thus, worse heat-losses.

The chamber is there to enable the engine run at a higher RPM,
thus giving more HP from that displacement.

The lowest specific fuel consumption diesels are "direct
injection".

Electric-pump dump hoists:

It's been my experience that they suck. Not nearly enough
grunt for the job usually, and they DO eat batteries. With
a full load in the box, you're looking at 300-600 amps...for
minutes. They generally go SLOOOWWW with a full load.

I'm not sure I understand the objection to the PTO. You're
using a PTO hyd. pump for the crane aren't you? Assuming
it's a somwehat standard 2,000-3,000 psi system, you shouldn't
have any problem using the same pump/resoivoir for the dump.

There -are- some hoists out there that look for 5,000 psi, and
I doubt your crane uses that; so check your hoist for
requirements
before buying.

Around here, a used dumpbox/hoist runs $500-1,000...and alot
of times the pump and tank is laying there with it too.

That's for a typical 3-5 yard size steel gravel box...which I'm
assuming is what you're mounting, since it's going on a deuce
(a short truck) and you're putting the crane on in front...

R.

--
www.OregonStone.Com