Re: [MV] Convoy vehicle security

From: Jim Stead (gadget@easypath.com)
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 06:38:58 PDT

Bjorn and all,

               In general, MV owners should probably be more concerned with
joy riders than with vehicle thieves. For a thief, an MV is much less
desirable to steal when compared to a late model Honda, for instance. Not
only are MV's more difficult to sell to stolen-car buyers, but the thief isn
't likely to have much experience starting or operating the MV, and the
thief is going to stand out driving that green vehicle. This is something
they try to avoid when possible.
             By making it just a bit more difficult for joy riders and
thieves, the following suggestions can go a long way towards protecting your
property.

- Don't leave valuables in your vehicle. Theft from vehicles is far
more common than theft of vehicles.

- Don't expect glass windows or canvas to protect your property.

- Park in well lit areas near people. Park in view of video cameras
when possible.

- Make your vehicle harder to start. Add a kill switch, battery
disconnect, fuel shutoff, etc.

- If you have air tanks for your brakes, open the drain valves and
leave them open.

- Chain and padlock your steering wheel.

- Guns under canvas should be removed, or chained/padlocked to your
mount.

            If your vehicle is taken, getting information to the police as
quickly as possible is paramount. This is no time to be calling home, asking
a family member to dig through your records to find your VIN number.

- Be able to identify your vehicle. Write down your VIN number,
plate number, and anything that discerns your truck from others.

- Take photos of your vehicle from all sides; be sure your markings
are clear in the photos. If you take digital pictures and can't print them
out, bring the photo card or entire camera if necessary.

- Keep your photos and ID info someplace secure. NOT in the
vehicle!

            - Once again, park in view of video cameras. Ask at your
place of stay for locations of active, preferably taped, cameras.

Wishing everyone a safe and secure MV,

Jim Stead & Jim Stead Sr.
Communications & Security Officers
2004 East Coast Convoy