M880 alternator field wires

From: mkmvpa@juno.com
Date: Sun May 09 2004 - 17:10:08 PDT

Which field wire post does the green field wire attach and which does the red attach on a 1977 Dodge M880? What are the hazards of reversing this order? I had an electrical failure today on my M880. ran fine last night, drove it probably 25 miles making several stops, never noticed a charging problem. Then this morning I go to start it and it won't fire, cranks fine just no fire, faint smoke coming from the steering column and then later discovered the red field wire had melted its insulation along the full length of it's run from the alternator to where it bonds with the other wires before going into the ballast resistor.
Any ideas on possible faults?

Thanks,
Robert
1977 Dodge M880