Re: [MV] Homeland Security Needs Your Help

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 13:51:22 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Stead" <gadget@easypath.com>
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 12:39 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Homeland Security Needs Your Help

> A letter, looking official and signed by someone of importance could
> have been very helpful to you. Sort of a "permit" in a way. Folks in the
US
> who have converted belt-fed machine guns to semi-automatic often carry a
> similar letter from BATF to help them when the local dimwit with a badge
> shows up. It's not an end-all, but it helps.

Usually when you're heading southbound with new-looking cameras and what-not
to take pictures, Canada advises you to get a piece of paper with the item's
serial no. prior to heading southbound in order to present to all and sundry
showing that you had the item in your possession *before* you crossed, and
that you didn't purchase it in the U.S. It never occurred to me to bother
with scuffed'n'scratched on-vehicle equipment given that the things are
ancient (1962-ish) and the giant "Military Vehicle Preservation Society"
decal on the front window shows what it's all about - but, well, I guess
prior to Arlington we're going to have to spend an hour or two with the
Rubber Stamp Militia on this side of the border just so we have some
documentation showing that any of our 80 lb. boatanchors are *Canadian*
boatanchors. At least we will have made the effort.

This is all too much like some Monty Python skit gone horribly wrong. :)
Thanks for the suggestions.