Re: [MV] Aberdeen '04-Missouri Wine Country Convoy '04

From: Jon Shoop (shoop19@brick.net)
Date: Sun May 09 2004 - 17:26:51 PDT

I missed Aberdeen this year to go on the Missouri Wine Country Tour put on
by the Railsplitters/reeinactors group headed by Tim Scherrer, of Columbia,
Mo..

What a great event!!!!!!....Tim and his crew outdid themselves. From
Columbia Missouri to Jefferson City and back, the long way, winding along
the Missouri river and the KATY Trail. Low water bridges, gravel, asphalt,
we covered it all. We covered over 130 miles.

Had 2 towns along the way sponsor a rest break with refreshments and another
a BBQ dinner where I think the whole town turned out to greet us with Old
Glory flying, and treating us like liberators!

Over 70 participants in the convoy and close to 20 vehicles including WCs ,
Steve Smiths beautiful command car and a whole bunch of jeeps. Everyone in
WWII garb made it very special. Even had some Russian reeinactors in
attendance.

Also, a real treat was a gentleman doing an excellent Douglas McArther
impression, in his reprise of the old 5-star himself.....complete with
Washington Missouri made signature corncob pipe.

A stop for lunch that the Railsplitters had catered for the event, was
nothing less than awesome!

Great friends, great food, perfect 80 degree weather and no one broke down
except me....was an operator brainfart breakdown and failure to check gas
supply. But I got on track soon enough with onboard spare fuel.

Police escourt into Jefferson City on the interstate and driving up to the
Capitol steps for a group photo was great fun.

I am going to encourage Tim to schedule on a alternate weekend next year as
to not conflict with Aberdeen. Several in the group had forgone Aberdeen to
take in this convoy, somewhat reluctantly, including myself.

Participants from the Dakotas, Kansas, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana were in
attendance.

Highly recommended!!!!!!

Next year promises to be even better. Last year the group suffered torrents
of rain and even 2 tornado scares. Onward and upward in 05!

Jon Shoop