Re: [MV] Homeland Security Needs Your Help

From: Douglas Greville (dgrev@iinet.net.au)
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 15:53:36 PDT

Ed

I think that is about the worst airport story I have heard yet. In
Australia the airport security seems to have a thing about footwear,
there have been numerous instances of people getting to walk thru the
metal detector doorway things in their socks whilst their footwear
got the full visual and X-ray treatment.

What has me curious, is that say you forgetfully walk into security
with a pocket knife, why is it confiscated with no right of return?
After all, it is your property, just because you are not allowed to
take it on to a plane doesn't mean to say that they can steal it
from you. Why can't it be sent back (you pay the postage)?

It is, after all, your legal property!

> Umm... Wait until you try to get through airport security while you are
> equipped with a metal replacement hip joint. You turn your pockets
> inside out, take off your belt with the non-removable buckle, remove
> your shoes so they can be inspected, and STILL the damned bells and
> whistles sound off when you try to go through the magnetometer. THEN you
> are escorted to the "private" examining area. That is about a 5 by 5
> foot area "walled" off with what looks like a shower curtain. You are
> instructed to drop your knickers so "they" can inspect your scar. "They"
> run their hand scanner up and down your leg and across your butt to
> confirm that the offending metal is, in fact, in your hip and that you
> are not hiding a nuclear weapon or box cutter there where the sun
> doesn't shine. Finally, you are instructed to put yourself back together
> and bypass the magnetometer to board your flight. Sheesh! Been there,
> done that. Don't think I'll be flying any more, ever.

Regards
Doug