Re: [MV] Homeland Security Needs Your Help

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 20:30:04 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <MVTrucker@aol.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Homeland Security Needs Your Help

> Very interesting stories. I sure could tell you a few
> of my own and they were all pre-9/11. I been "hit" by
> police in more than one state and have had them pull
> their guns on me no less than five times. In all, I only violated
the law in one instance - I missed a small
> pack of small firecrackers when I cleaned out my van
> after a trip to CA. Yes, they found them while I was
> spread eagle againt the hood of their police car and
> two officers came at me with guns drawn.
> If I was a true outlaw, I could understand it.

Ugh. That's the worst aspect of it all - leaving you feel like you're some
sort of criminal for pursuing your legal hobbies or whatever and not hurting
nor intending to hurt anyone in any shape, form or size. It lasts for days.
Even here in Canada when I pass a local "seatbelt check" set up courtesy of
our local RCMP, I'm always pulled over where the car in front and behind me
are waved ahead, and the first questions is *always*, "What's with the
truck, guy?" Jebus. You're made to feel as though you must be mentally
defective for not driving around in a Lincoln Town Car or somethin'. Their
hands always seem to nervously hover around their S&Ws when they come up to
your driver's door too, where the potential gang-banger in the lowered Honda
Civic ahead of me gets the wave-off.

I once got pulled over at 2am in my shiny green 1950's ex-CDN sigs M37 on
the way back from a camping trip by a couple of French-Canadian RCMP
officers new to my detachment. When I rolled up the tarp as per request so
they could look in the back, they asked me what was in all the bags and
boxes - particularly a long aluminum box lovingly decorated with flaking
brown ordnance paint. I started the mainifest like so:

"Four cups, two spoons, two knives, two forks..."

At which point I was interrupted by the second constable mid-inventory with
a curt "open it up, eh." After shovelling aside tents and sleeping bags and
lanterns and chairs and other miscellaneous camping crap, I got to the ammo
container of interest, flipped the lid, and proudly pointed at...

"Four cups, two spoons, two knives, two forks..."

Well, the French Canadian duo look at each other, fidget a bit in the 2am
chill, then start to head back to their car. Almost as an afterthought, the
first Constable looks back at me over his shoulder and in the thickest
French Canadian accent I've ever heard, says:

"We're lookin' fer macheen guns, eh..."

Heh. Priceless. Yes, if I'm going to smuggle Uzis at 2am on an empty
street, a green OD M-37 with bright-white markings would be infinitely
preferable to a battered 1978 Datsun or somethin'. Oi vey. :)

(Usually when I get the "why would anyone want to drive around town in
*this*..." type comment, I usually just say something like, "Hey..it's the
ultimate in Recyling. Go Green!")