Re: Deuce engine repair question

From: Richard (metal@fullwave.com)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 18:36:26 PDT

howdy guys,

I'm looking at a deuce that's stated to have one
bad cylinder. It's a '76 AMG, and he says the 'truck'
was rebuilt in '92, and has an '86 Continental multifuel
in it. That threw me a bit, but maybe they made them
into the 80's? Or still do ?

Anyway, I haven't yet found out why/when this cyl
went bad, but he says he doesn't know what's wrong,
and it has 'some' blowby. Maybe a hole in a piston...

I can't think of any way something simple like a bad
injector would cause blowby...

My question is: Can something like this be done in-frame
easily? I.e. pull the head and pan, put a new piston and
liner in, reassemble. I've worked on some diesels, but
never a multifuel, and I've not spent time under the hood
of a deuce, so I don't know how if there's enough space
and clearances to easily pull the head in-frame, or not.

Thanks much!

Richard

--
www.OregonStone.Com