Re: [MV] MPG for the deuce

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 07:40:53 PDT

I'm one of those fools who claim to have incredible mileage at times. I'm
real anal about mileage on long trips. Around town I couldn't care a bit. A bit
of history on my test vehicle. Its an M275A2 tractor with the LDT4651C
engine. Deuce tractor means no bed so considerable weight savings and less wind
resistance. Weight on the truck is 12,560#. When I picked it up in MD I removed
the front drive flanges and installed a set with the splines removed. I also
pulled one rear axle shaft and unstalled one of those front drive flanges (the
splined ones removed for the trip) in the rear to cover the hub. At 55 MPH I
got 8.3 and 9.4 MPG. All tires were at 50PSI. I found that when I reduced
my speed to 52 MPH I got an incredible 11+ MPG. I'll have to research my exact
mileage. The M275A2 has a long fuel tank so some of that difference might be
related to fillups on not so level ground but I had a weld mark in the tank
that it was filled up to every time. I've never bothered to check the mileage
on the cargo since its always driven in town. When I took the M275A2 to OH
with the M35A2 piggybacked on the back I ran between 50 and 55 as much as I
could. I had all of my camping stuff and some radios in the back including 2
complete GP Medium tents. Mileage varied a bit but hovered right around 6.4 MPG.
Got 8 MPG once but was probably related to the terrain. I know lots of people
say if I'm worrying about mileage I shouldn't be driving a deuce and maybe
they are right. Hey, around town I don't really care. But when I'm footing the
bill for fuel and I'm going 2500 miles, I will take these little shortcuts to
save a few $$$ after all, I can spend that money on stuff I can actually hold
and keep.
Kenny