Re: One Bad Hole Deuce Engine Questions

From: Richard (metal@fullwave.com)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 12:15:32 PDT

howdy guys,

I've gotten a bit more info, and have a few more
questions...

(the truck is about 10-12 hrs drive from me, at OR and
CA fuel prices, so I'm trying to figure out as much as
possible -before- driving down there <g> )

In latest conversation with seller, when asking him if
the problem developed suddenly or came on slowly, he
told me it was that way when he got the truck from mil.

He said: "Just drove it around the block once, and it didn't
sound
right. First time I've heard a duece backfire".

I was wondering whether or not that helps narrow down
what might be causing the bad hole?

Remember, earlier he also told me it had some blowby.

I've not really gotten a good handle on what "some" is... <g>

Probably have to make the drive and actually see it run to
get that answer.

2nd question: What should I expect to pay for a decent
running used LDT-465 ? What's the current "avg market
price" for a used running engine?

3rd question: What's a fair price for this truck, per the
description
below (collection of quotes from his letters) ??

Assuming a fixed engine, and I guess the "west coast" market, if
that
makes a difference... There isn't a winch or PTO on this one,
but it
sounds like everything else is there and like-new.

""AM General, year 1976 but completely overhauled in 1992, not
rust,
straight, 10,000 mi, 300 hours, new transmission from box, new
transfer
case from box, new driver and passenger seats, new doors,
undercarrage
and running gear/axles looks like new, new style (plastic)
battery box,
6 new 11x20 Michelin radials.""

"overhauled in 1992, truck is in like-new condition, 6 new 11x20
radial tires,
new fiberglass troop seats, new 5-speed manual transmission, new
2-speed transfer case, dual rear axles, highway legal, soft top,
windshield
folds down or windows flip up, 10,000 on the odometer, 300 hrs"

"transmission and transfer case were installed per truck
paperwork
in 2002 and aren't even dirty yet...new shiny bolts, etc. "

"air-assisted front wheel drive toggle switch on the dash"

"The military did the conversion to singles."

"1986 Continental, turbocharged, exterior of engine looks like
new"

"standard bed like new, no rust, straight, brand new fiberglass
troop
seats, new bow corners but no bows."

I need to know what fair market value is so that I don't overpay,

and also so that I know what I could get for it in a reasonably
short
time, if it turns out not to be what we need for our stone biz
(this would be my first deuce).

thanks very much guys,

Richard

--