Re: [MV] One Bad Hole Deuce Engine Questions

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 12:55:47 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard" <metal@fullwave.com>
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 12:15 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] One Bad Hole Deuce Engine Questions

> In latest conversation with seller, when asking him if
> the problem developed suddenly or came on slowly, he
> told me it was that way when he got the truck from mil.
>
> He said: "Just drove it around the block once, and it didn't
> sound
> right. First time I've heard a duece backfire".

I dunno about 'backfire', but some of them blow the head gasket out at
either the front or rear end of the engine. It's happened on two of our
465-1D turbo trucks, and apparently it might have something to do with an
older type headgasket that everyone tells you not to use now. They're
pretty loud and 'chuffy' when the gasket goes, but again - dunno about a
'backfire' unless the cylinder affected is still managing to fire despite
reduced compression, or maybe the exhaust valve isn't shutting all the way.
If it were me, I think I'd do a compression check on all cylinders before
doing much else.

> 2nd question: What should I expect to pay for a decent
> running used LDT-465 ? What's the current "avg market
> price" for a used running engine?

The guy in the military scrapyard told me he gets 800.00 each for good
running engines. As to the rest of the value questions, I can't help.
Supply Line, Military Vehicles magazine and GL usually have lots listed to
give you an idea though.