Re: [MV] truck ID in movie READ

From: Claude W. Vaughn (vaughn@totalaccess.net)
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 07:38:24 PDT

Pardon me for including full text of messages below....

Interesting what we link into on the Internet...

>From a posting on the "MVList" (snip below, at end) to the links:

http://www.autogallery.org.ru/k/i/intM425_PatDeMoss.jpg
http://www.autogallery.org.ru/k/i/intM426_PatDeMoss.jpg

I thought I might find other MV photos at the site... I shortened the
address and linked into:

http://www.autogallery.org.ru/gal.htm

This is a Russian site.... they are our "friends" ....

<snip>

God, help Iraqi people to protect their motherland in their holy war against
murderers from usa.
  I don't buy products made in usa and their "slave government" countries:
  england, spain, bulgaria, australia, romania, japan, poland, latvia,
georgia,
    the netherlands, south korea, philippines, czech rp., danmark, albania.
 Join this boycott. Support Iraq - member of UN! Support UN organization!
                             Support peace in the World!
<end of snip>

Interesting photo there too.

Personally, I still like to see "USA" in upper case.

Colin M Rush wrote:

> I was watching "Hiroshima" last week. It was a movie that was released
> in the last year or two about the events and people that had a hand in
> developing and dropping the two bombs on Japan. (Very good movie by the
> way; made using original footage interspersed with new footage shot to
> look like vintage film.) In one scene near the end when Fat Man is being
> readied to load on the plane for delivery, it is being pulled by what
> looks like either an IHC H-542-9 (known as the M425 to the Army), or an
> IHC H-542-11 (known as the M426 to the Army). Those trucks were used in
> the China-Burmese-India theater according to my copy of Crismon's, so it
> makes sense that one of these might have been used to pull Fat Man. I
> only got a glimpse of it, though. By any chance, does anyone have a copy
> of that movie that can pause on it and verify that is what I think it is?
> Or that has a still photo of it? For those that do not know what I am
> talking about, look at the 1944 and 1945 pages of Crismon's, and you will
> see them there.
> -Colin Rush

<snip from mail received via "MVList"

> I was watching "Hiroshima" last week. It was
> a movie that was released in the last year
> or two about the events and people that had
> a hand in developing and dropping the two
> bombs on Japan. (Very good movie by the way;
> made using original footage interspersed with
> new footage shot to look like vintage film.)
> In one scene near the end when Fat Man is
> being readied to load on the plane for
> delivery, it is being pulled by what looks
> like either an IHC H-542-9 (known as the M425
> to the Army), or an IHC H-542-11 (known as
> the M426 to the Army). Those trucks were used
> in the China-Burmese-India theater according
> to my copy of Crismon's, so it makes sense
> that one of these might have been used to
> pull Fat Man.

Aint seen it, but found these images online:

www.autogallery.org.ru/k/i/intM425_PatDeMoss.jpg
www.autogallery.org.ru/k/i/intM426_PatDeMoss.jpg

The loading scene would have been on Tinian, where
the bomb was loaded onto 'Bockscar', the B-29 that
dropped it.

Someone mentioned the M425/M426 models were also
used for the RedBall Express (fall '44) in Europe.

WhiteWolf

> I only got a glimpse of it, though. By any
> chance, does anyone have a copy of that movie
> that can pause on it and verify that is what I
> think it is? Or that has a still photo of it?
> For those that do not know what I am talking
> about, look at the 1944 and 1945 pages of
> Crismon's, and you will see them there.
>
> -Colin Rush

**Please trim your replies**
**Do not post in HTML or "Rich Text" mode**
**Plain ASCII Text only please**
**Attachments will be stripped**

Yahoo! Groups Links