RANT was: Real News/ Gun Ban

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 08:04:14 PDT

At 10:43 AM -0400 5/28/04, Larry Tighe wrote:
>The FOX news network seems to be making a real effort at truth. Maybe
>that's why their US ratings are higher than the other cable newsies
>combined! They use experienced news people (journalists) as opposed to
>pretty-boy teleprompter readers (presenters).

You know, I know my company isn't the most perfect, but the amount of
greif I'm seeing is starting to annoy me. I work here damn-it. I've
been here 8 years and Fox is still a Jonny come lately as far as I'm
concerned. They can't even keep their bloody web site up on high
traffic days.

You might want to know a bit more about the reporters before you run
your mouth. They're pretty damn picky about the talking heads on
International and CNN. Headlines is a bit different, I'll admit we
had some pretty odd choices for anchors *CoughAndreaThompsoncough*,
but we have some damn solid one's too. I'd pit Miles OBrian, Chuck
Roberts, Lynn Russel and rest his soul, John Holliman against anyone
that Fox decides to trot out on their billboard outside CNN Center,
any day. Holliman was head and shoulders above anyone that Fox has
had reporting on Military or Space affairs. Chuck is about as close
to being a fixture with out being bolted to the floor and Lynn Russel
could kick anyone from Fox around the room and had the most smooth
style I've ever seen in a news room. And Miles Obrian as an Ex USAF
Zoomie (F-15 pilot) probably knows more about military operations
than the Fox heads.

Might I point out we don't have someone as dense as Geraldo Rivera
working for us in the field pointing out positions to a live camera
feed.

>Most large newspapers are owned by huge media groups (as are broadcast
>stations these days) and tint the news according to the editorial leanings.

Working inside the news I'll say that this tends to miss the point.
Perhaps your perspective is tinted?

 From what I've seen of editorial staff, usually fuzzy liberal arts
people go into writing news. One usually doesn't see conservative
types that go in for it, they seem to be more inclined for other
things. We're all up in the technology group here at CNN Center. We
keep it all running. I still like most of my more liberal co-workers
so please, focus more on complaining TO the politicians and not each
other.

Still not speaking for CNN damnit.

/rant

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -