Fuel additive vs road tax question

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat May 29 2004 - 03:36:41 PDT

Good morning,

Something for the legal experts on the list.
What percentage of additives can you run in your fuel tank without getting
in trouble taxwise?

I'm currently experimenting with adding straight vegetable oil to the diesel
in my M35 multifuel. I have been told that a mixture of up to 20% will work
just fine (in the summertime, anyway), but at which point does the law kick
in. As you know fuel for off-highway use is dyed to catch cheeters.

Does anybody know of a case(s) where users of homemade biodiesel have been
fined for not paying a road tax? What about straight vegetable oil? When is
it no longer a non taxable additive?

My current mixture is 10% veggie oil and 90% diesel....

Bjorn,
MVPA19212
Meadows of Dan, Virginia