RE: [MV] Super Singles?

From: Lee Franklin (lee@wellnesshealth.com)
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 21:25:34 PDT

That makes absolute sense to me, Dick.

-Lee

-----Original Message-----
From: rertman@ix.netcom.com [mailto:rertman@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 30, 2004 6:03 PM
To: Lee Franklin; MIL-VEHICLES
Subject: Re: [MV] Super Singles?

True, Lee, for MV's.

On civvy commercial trucks, the super singles are popular because they'll
carry
the same load as a pair of duals, but cost a lot less than the equivalent
set
of standard tires. They're popular around here on cement mixers, dirt
haulers
and equipment carriers. To the best of my limited knowledge, they're not
off-road
tires...strictly road tires. This info from a neighbor who owns a fleet of
cement mixers.

BTW, I sure would like to find a set of super singles to fit the 16" wheels
on
my 2001 Dodge/Cummins 4X4 dually pickup.

Dick

Lee Franklin wrote:

> The reason deuces have the duals is for extra traction off road, and to
help
> support weight. Remember that it is definately made with going 'off road'
> in mind. Even my old 109 shop van (horribly overloaded with a #1 common
> tool set and Artillery maint tool set and more..) was quite good off road.
> One time I took a turn too fast on a tank trail (hard packed mud
> essentially) just after some rain had made a nice slick surface and found
> myself fully sideways in a ditch, staring at dirt out the drivers window.
> just popped her in low, engaged 6x and drove it right out... you should
have
> seen what a mess the load was in after though...
>
> For those who have been, it was out in the area near the old church in
> Graffenwohr. Artillery firing positions, I think Area November. Damn
Graf