Re: A Bridge Too Far Movie

From: Brian Placzankis (plaz@mac.com)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 05:28:13 PDT

Despite the many details that were wrong in the movie, one aspect that I really liked was the Bailey bridge scene. The metallic creaking, squealing, and groaning noises when the soldiers were pushing it across were dead on identical to the sounds I remember. It sure looked and sounded like the real thing to me. One thing I never understood about Bailey Bridge construction was why it has to be ALL done with manpower. Why couldn't an MV be slowly pushed against the end to give the soldiers a nice "boost" when pushing it out over the gap. In training at FT Leonard Wood, they had us do it all 100% manpower so that we would "appreciate" it. I would think though that in a battle environment where every second counts, you would use any expedient method including a bumper push to get the bridge up ASAP.

plaz