Re: [MV] [MTAof NJ members mailing list] Inspection sticker for NY state.

From: Jim Stead (gadget@easypath.com)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 14:53:04 PDT

Okay then, to confuse this even more, RVs *may* be considered as passenger
vehicles of under, or over, 15 passengers, excluding the driver. I don't
know for sure, but if not for exemptions of RVs and small buses I can't
imagine why they would even have this definition.

The three classes I mentioned earlier actually fit into two Inspection
groups. Light vehicles, medium trucks, and passenger vehicle less than 15
passengers is Group 1 and has a windshield sticker. The heavy trucks,
passenger vehicles over 15 passengers, and medium trucks that have opted for
heavy class because they can't pass medium class requirements (IE: muffler)
all fall under Group 2 and have a fender sticker.

I've got to say this is Waaayy out of my expertise, and you need to take all
this with a big grain of salt.
If you need to know about any of it, the documents in question are NYS DMV
CR79 and the 2002 update CR79UP. Lots of convoluted info in there. All
available on the NYDMV web site.

Jim