RE: [MV] Questions about towing an M37

From: Glenn Shaw (mpmutt@mtaofnj.us)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 06:55:05 PDT

Hi
I am afraid I have many miles of M37 Dodge towing experience interstate.
My opinion is I would forget about taking out axle shafts and having
gear oil all over the place which will come out if it is filled up. The
rear end gears will not be a problem if they are in good shape. I would
take off the drive shaft just to save wear and tear on the transfer case
since the oil slinging may not be adequate if the input shaft is not
turning for that distance and speed. The big thing is that the truck is
a bear and weighs too much for the U haul garbage dolly even if you can
fit it on it. It is also very much needed to have brakes working on
this tow setup. The towed vehicle weighs more than the F250 unless he
has weight added to the Ford. He will be all over the road with this
thing and it will be a white knuckles ride over 55 mph assuming he even
makes it. If one car swerves in from of him or stops short it will be
all over. Also don't forget that Uhaul only allows the dollies for 3000
lbs so you will be on your own without their insurance when the crash is
investigated. Read their policy closely. The whole project sounds bad.
It would be better if he rents a trailer with brakes and capacity for
towing an M37 safely.

Glenn Shaw
MVPA
MTANJ