How to make your own lockouts for the M35 Rockwell 240 axle

From: Robert Ternes (racecadet@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 10:56:20 PDT

The following is a writeup of how to make your own
dummy lockouts for the deuce axle. I've only used
these on the front, but I see no issue in running
these also in the rear.

Materials:
2x 3" lengths of 3.5ID pipe (as I recall, it's 3" long
of 3.5" pipe, but there is a chance that I used 3.5"
of 3" ID, this is from memory, afterall!)
2x 7" squares of ~3/16" steel plate

Tools needed:
Metalwork tools
 · cutting torch
 · grinder
 · welder
Steady drill or drill press and ¿1/2"? bits
1/2" Transfer punch
One takeoff drive puck from front axle and bolts
A centerpunch and compass would really help

Procedure:

Measure circle from inside of deuce wheel and cut two
circles from plate to match this diameter. Once you've
cut the circles out, discard the scraps from the steel
plate.

Align the drive puck as best as you can over one of
the circles of steel, since you'll be copying the bolt
pattern. Using the transfer punch, transfer one hole
from the stock drive puck to the newly cut circle of
plate. If you've used transfer punches before, you'll
understand what you're doing here. :)

Transfer punch one hole, and then drill the plate
circle for that one hole. Stick a bolt through the
bottom of the plate, up through the hole, and then up
through the puck. Using this hole as a guide, then
transfer punch the rest of the 8 holes and then drill
those out.

Now, cut out the center of the plate in preparation
for the pipe. SAVE the small inner circle, since this
will form the outside cap of your lockout.

Note - you can either mark out the inner hole before
or after you drill the holes - it's up to you. I'd
also cut it after you drill, but again this is
preference.

So now you should have all the pieces ready for
welding. Align carefully, and weld er up, tacking
first and checking for concentricity and interference
before final welding.

Pic of the finished product:
http://www.planetbantz.com/imghost/bob/deuce_lockout.jpg

Yes, I know I am missing a lugnut. Remember - you can
be up to 20% short and still be legal. :)

I'd also paint, but I finished these at 1AM the night
before I bought my deuce, so that was a luxury I
didn't want to wait for (these will get toasty from
welding).

To install, I packed the sucker with grease and just
stuck it on there. I used Gr8 hardware since I figured
I'd bash this at some point, but that was totally
optional. :)

Heck, I probably forgot something, so if it's not
clear, email me and I'll clarify.

Cheers
Bob