M1008 CUCV Bed Disassembly

From: Brian Placzankis (plaz@mac.com)
Date: Sun Jun 06 2004 - 16:14:10 PDT

Well,

I unbolted the bed and its sides. There were definitely ALOT of bolts.
  It turns out that there are 2 welds, one for each side by the
tailgate. They are in the lower corners where the sides meet the bed
and continue around inside the corner as well as downward on the back
vertical surface just above the bumper. I believe these are to add the
proper stiffness so that the sides remain vertical for the tailgate.
It all came apart nicely however, the areas around the weld didn't come
apart too nice (a bit jagged). Hopefully after I get all of the
surface rust removed and a nice coat of MIL-P-23377 primer to the bulk
of the bed I can get that final weld in and then give that last spot
the MIL-P-23377 primer and then the final MIL-DTL-64159 Type II
topcoat.

plaz