Found CCKW WWII GMC at weekend auction.

From: Dan Bever (goin_myway@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 07 2004 - 16:39:03 PDT

Hi List,

Thought some of you might be interested in my MV find
at an auction this past weekend. I had went to this
auction in the south western part of Indiana on
Saturday as they had listed over 100 junk vehicles
that had been collected by an older gentleman for many
years. No MV stuff was listed in the sale ad so I did
not expect to find anything MV related. But you never
know what you are going to find at some of the sales
and being an old car nut as well I went to see what
was there. To my surprise I happened upon a CCKW GMC
truck with a large scoop shovel mounted on the back.
It looked to have been sitting for some time as
evident of the tree growing up throught the rear tire
that was laying on the back portion of the frame. I
was trying to figure out a way to make purchase and be
able to cut off the large and very heavy scoop shovel
that had been bolted and welded to the back of the
chassis. I was standing looking it over when I noticed
another guy who was looking it over. I guess he knew
that I was interested in it as he ask what I was
wanting. Come to find out he wanted the scoop shovel
and I wanted the truck. So we both made a deal to make
the purchase together so I could get the truck and he
could get the scoop shovel. For a moment I thought we
would both loose out as there were several area
scrappers looking to move in for the kill on all that
iron for scrapping. As it turned out we won the bid.
So I now have a WWII CCKW such as it is. It shows that
there is still MV vintage tin out there. This one is
in pretty sad condition as you can see in the photos
but other than the bed missiong the rest of the truck
appears to be all there. The cab and doghouse are
pretty rusty but I am going to take this truck over to
have it media blasted and hit it with a good thick
coat of primer and WWII OD paint. Then start working
to free up the engine and all of the mechanical
componets. I need to know were the serial number is
located at. There are about 4 data plates mounted up
on the area above the windshield inside the cab but I
could not read anything that looked like a serial
number. Is there a serial number location on the frame
or a data plate anywere else. Did not see any plated
on the glove box door. I would also like to try and
determine the year made. Anyhow hope you like the
story. At least there is one more that the scrappers
want get.
Dan Bever
MVPA 18507
194? CCKW GMC 6X6
1944 Willys MB
1942 WC27

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/goin_myway/album?.dir=/Yahoo!+Photo+Album

Try going to this web site and see if you can get into
my photo albumn to view photos of my treasure find
this past weekend. If you cannot view let me know.
Later