Re: [MV] 2.5 versuses 5 ton trucks

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 21:06:57 PDT

Hi Arthur...

I respectfully must correct you on the California regulations.

You are required to have a Class B in California to drive a
non-commercial vehicle that has _3_axles_ that ALSO weighs
_more_than_6,000_lbs_.

If it only has 2 axles, then anything under 26,000 lbs is OK with a
regular license. This WOULD include a deuce if it only had 2 axles
since it has a GVW of 23,000 lbs. It is that second axle that gets
you.

There is a guy here in the SF Bay Area (in Sunnyvale on Blazingwood
Drive) that is converting his deuce to a single rear axle...I think
this 3rd axle rule must be why.

In my case, there is some weirdness...DMV refuses to let me take my
Class B skills (driving) test in MY M35A2 because it is registered as
an Historic Vehicle. They said it is because on the registration
form, it literally says that my truck is a "CAR", and you have to take
your Class B skills test in a "truck". All HV's in California are
classed as "car"s. So I hope that this means I am driving a "CAR"
when the cops stop me. ;)

There's another aspect...was the deuce "designed" to carry more than
15 passengers with the troop seats installed? If so, this would
require you to have a Class B with a special BUS endorsement.

It is all VERY nebulous here in the people's republik of KA.

Here (between the "***"s) is the simplified California code, directly
from the California DMV web site
(http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs03thru06.htm):

***

Class A**

You may drive any legal combination of vehicles, including vehicles
under Classes B and C.

You may tow:
- any single vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of more
than 10,000 lbs.
- any trailer bus, with endorsement
- more than one vehicle, with endorsement
- any vehicle under Classes B (an additional endorsement may be
required) or C

Class A Fire Fighter**

You may drive only Class A and Class B defined combination fire
fighting vehicles and all vehicles listed under Class C.

You may tow a single vehicle with a GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs.

Class A Noncommercial

You may drive any of the vehicles under Class C.

You may tow travel trailers weighing over 10,000 lbs. GVWR or 5th
wheel travel trailers weighing over 15,000 lbs. GVWR when the trailers
are not used for hire (pay or other compensation). Study material for
this class of license is contained in the Recreational Vehicles and
Trailers booklet, available at any DMV office.

Class B**

You may drive:
- any single vehicle with a GVWR of more than 26,000 lbs.
- a 3-axle vehicle weighing over 6,000 lbs. gross
- any bus (except a trailer bus), with endorsement
- any farm labor vehicle, with endorsement
- all vehicles under Class C

*Refer to the Commercial Driver Handbook for additional information
and study material.

You may tow a single vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less.

Class B Fire Fighter**

You may drive only a Class B defined single fire fighting vehicle and
all the vehicles listed under Class C.

You may tow a single vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less.

Class B Noncommercial

You may drive:

- any vehicles listed under Class C.
- a housecar over 40 feet but not over 45 feet, with endorsement.

You may tow any vehicle listed under Class C. Study material for this
class of license is contained in the Recreational Vehicles and
Trailers booklet, available at any DMV office.

Class C

You may drive:
- any 2-axle vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less.
- any 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. Or less gross.
- any housecar, 40 feet or less.
- a vanpool vehicle, designed to carry more than 10 but less than 15
persons including the driver. The driver must have a valid medical
report on file with DMV and carry a valid medical card.. The driver
must also have a signed certification stating he/she has not been
convicted of reckless driving, drunk driving, or hit-and-run in the
last five years. (VC Section 12804.9[j] ).

***