Re: [MV] 2.5 versuses 5 ton trucks

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 06:29:40 PDT

Hey Jim, here are my opinions on the deuce vs. 5 tons stuff.

Good things about 5 Tons
1) They're Big!
2) Power Steering
3) Tough to overload
4) Menacing to look at in a parking lot

Bad things
1) They're Big!
2) Parts are heavy
3) Although plentiful, not nearly as plentiful as deuce parts
4) CDL required (in most states)
5) Parts more expensive
6) Menacing to park in parking lots (see # 1)

Good things about deuces
1) No CDL
2) Parts are plentiful and cheaper
3) Fits real nice in parking spaces
4) Most parts can be lifted (meaning picked up not stolen)
5) For now, surplus tires are more plentiful and cheaper
6) Menacing to look at in parking lots and in the rear view

Bad things about deuces
1) No power steering.

With all that said, its what ever your heart desires. I like both and have
had both. The 5 ton gives you that Big Truck feeling more than the deuce. Oh
yeah, the one bad thing about a deuce, the no power steering! I find that as a
plus. Not many people want to borrow it for that reason. In the future, I plan
on adding air assist steering. I also plan on adding a ball valve so that I
can shut off the air in the event somebody wants to borrow it, reverting it back
to manual steering. Another thought comes to mind along the PS train of
thought. The earlier 5 ton PS wasn't the picture of reliability. I once drove an
M54A2C 40 miles with inoperative power steering. It was a good experience but
I wouldn't ever want to do it again. Heck, I probably couldn't. I'm not so
sure that the 5 ton would actually be faster unloaded. I doubt that it could
accelerate faster than a deuce. Now this is solely my opinion so take it as such.
Front mount winches on 5 Tons aren't nearly as visible as the deuce winch is.
There is just no substitute for that sinister look of a deuce bearing down on
you with that winch snarling at you. You also have to appreciate a vehicle
that was engineered and designed with the absolute last consideration of driver
comfort. Now that's a purpose built vehicle.

Kenny