Re: [MV] 2.5 versuses 5 ton trucks - CDLs

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 11:03:40 PDT

The first page of the California CDL manual says something similar, so
much so that I have a copy in my truck.
In order to be qualified as a commercial vehicle in Ca the vehicle must
be designed for commercial purposes AND fit into one of a few dozen
categories like 3 axle over X pounds, or having true air brakes....
Fire trucks are not made for "commercial purposes"
So if I'm stopped I can say 'fire trucks aren't designed to make money'.
However as they have two distinct separate classes for Fire Trucks ( one
class A one class B ) which allows me to drive ONLY fire trucks of that
size I have to assume my lamo excuse won't go far. :]
Thus I'll have to break down and get a CDL one day. PITA.
And I've also heard that if you have a CDL in Ca and get stopped, it
doesn't matter what you are driving when stopped: if your blood alcohol
is over the lower CDL limit you are penalized.
I wonder if tanks need a CDL for those roads they are allowed on? If I
have to go through all the bother of getting a CDL I might as well make
it worthwhile.

           Paul

***********************************

At 1:08 PM -0400 6/9/04, Neil E. Amrhein wrote:

> > "...I've been told by the DMV....."
>
> Well, that was you first mistake...
>
> Personally, I try not to believe anything they tell me. I ask them to
show it to me in printed form. Here is the FMCSA's definition of a
"Commercial" vehicle:

> "Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination
> of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or
property
> if the motor vehicle --
>
> (a) Has a gross combination weight rating of 11,794 kilograms or
more (26,001
> pounds or more) inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle
weight rating
> of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds); or
>
> (b) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 11,794 or more kilograms
(26,001
> pounds or more); or
>
> (c) Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the
driver; or
> (d) Is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous
materials as
> defined in this section. "
>
> The key to that is the part in the first section which says: "...used
in commerce...". You are not using the vehicle for commerce, so
therefore, it is not commercial.

States may use a different definition.